Monday, April 23, 2007

Wedding Bells



(click for mood music as you read)

Yes, friends, wedding bells are ringing for our clan. My hubby's mom has decided, after ten years of widowhood, to remarry. She's 75; he's 77.

Each was married for decades. Does that mean that they'll avoid the pitfalls of newlywed-dom? Will they argue over picking up shoes or who gets to use the shower first? Or will they treasure each moment as a second chance to do it right, without fear or worries of what others will think?

I think it takes tons of courage to marry again late in life. It takes being deliberately vulnerable to another person (when you've spent years building up your independence), and it takes courage to face another inevitable loss when one spouse dies. It takes lots of compromise from people who are "set in their ways".

And, yet, the JOY! On the face, in the step, in the ready laugh and sparkling eye ... wow, wouldn't we all want to have that first blush of love again? The enthusiasm for another person, the future to plan ... these things are as much a part of love at 75 as they are at 25.

I wish them God's blessings for each day they have together.

5 comments:

T said...

How sweet! I think older people in love are so cute!

Margie said...

It won't be easy, but nothing's impossible. I'm excited. Not just because I predicted the conversation you would have with your daughter in letting her know (I can't claim the gift of prophecy, but it's fun to guess "what news" might be out there to know.) I think Lydia should be the flower girl and I can be the videographer. :)

Leanna said...

I am so very happy for MawMaw. I wish them both the best, and yes, what a joy to find another kindred spirit after such a loving first marriage.

May we all be so lucky to have so much love. =) So happy!

Lydia said...

I think it's great. I can't seem to get the picture off of my cell phone; I guess my work doesn't pay for the ability to do that. You'll just have to meet him in person. :)

KarenD said...

Wow!