Wednesday, July 9, 2008

My healthy ice cream

Since I am diabetic, I watch the sugar/carbs I eat pretty closely. One thing I really missed is ice cream. I love ice cream....all flavors, brands, varieties, with toppings or without.

Years ago, I purchased a counter-top ice cream freezer. You keep the canister in the freezer until needed, put it in place on the electric base, pour in the ingredients, and voilĂ , you have ice cream. It's soft so I put it in small plastic containers to pop into the freezer. Then I enjoy these when I want something cold and yummy.

Okay, so what's healthy about this? My recipe. It is sugar-free and fat-free, and has only 4 ingredients. Here's the recipe:

Beat with a whisk 2 eggs, 2/3C of Splenda, and 1 t vanilla. Add 1 quart of fat-free half-and-half (I use Land 'o Lakes from WalMart). Whisk till completely blended. Put freezer container on base, turn on machine, pour mixture into the top. Set kitchen timer for 20 minutes. Turn off machine, spoon out ice cream into plastic containers, and freeze.

Smucker's makes a sugar-free strawberry topping, and I also found a sugar-free chocolate syrup. Add sugar-free Cool Whip on top, a few chopped pecans, and you'll have a sundae worthy of Dairy Queen...with no guilt!!

1 comment:

MamaTeeThree said...

I'm a Splenda fan, too! I try to avoid giving my kids too much sugar (I don't think I really need to feed them something that will make them even MORE hyper than they already are), so sometimes I substitute Splenda (but don't tell them!).

My favorite is Jasmine green tea with Splenda and half and half. Yum.