Saturday, January 5, 2008

New Year, New Kitchen

I spent the first week of the new year re-doing my kitchen thanks to friends Vicki and Leanna. Leanna just bought a house (her first) and is busily re-doing it to her liking. What fun I've had doing that so many times! Vicki has a gorgeous kitchen which I would love to imitate (which is the sincerest form of flattery, right?) Anyway, with their inspiration, I tackled the job.

This beige and white kitchen came with this house. I immediately added the wallpaper border (with hub's help) and a few French accessories. I hated the beige countertops. I loved the white cabinets (like I've had in several houses). I have a white refrigerator. I have almond dishwasher and stove. Yuk! yuk! YUK!

I thought I'd love to have a dark granite countertop, but the money is outrageous. So Vicki showed me how easy it is to stain the cabinets which is what I did this week. A little stain, a lot of work, new knobs and ceiling fan....voila! new kitchen!! And guess what...the almond countertops don't look so bad any more now that everything goes together (with the exception, of course, of my white refrigerator and microwave ..sigh! )
Thank you, friends, for the inspiration!

6 comments:

Margie said...

I love it! I especially love how your kitchen has glass doors to see what's inside your shelving areas.

T said...

It all goes together very well! Great job!

cturkett said...

You're so right about redecorating...Mostly for us it has been with the change in houses. But this house we've been in the longest (for 16 years)!

Jim was kidding me the other day about what happened the first time that we re-did the kitchen. We sold the house soon after we finishted the update!

And as I have shown you already we just re-did our kitchen again. But I want to enjoy it a while before we actually move for what will most likely be our last time. :)

Right now Jim is redoing the entry by putting Venetian plaster on those previously wall-papered walls with plans to take the same green color that he's using in the entry to the adjacent dining room. There is currently wallpaper and a waincoat (chair rail) in there now.

Leanna said...

Looks great Carolyn! Way to go. Feel free to stop by and help. I have textured the whole kitchen and have it mostly painted. Though now I am considering doing a wash on top of it...

And still several tiles to grout...maybe one day it will be done!

Lydia said...

I love it! The colors blend so well now!

KarenD said...

You're right, the antiquing does help tie the beige in together. Fun project!