Saturday, January 5, 2008

More redecorating....

Someone recently asked me if I had re-decorated every time I changed residences. The answer is, "Sort of."

We bought furniture when moving into larger places, sold furniture when downsizing, and replaced furniture when it was worn out (by cats or kids or guests). We went through the mauves of the 1980's, went darker with navy in the 1990's, and now have added even more color in our current abode.

Accessories came and went , too. There were the days of the homemade crafts hung on the walls, and yes, I even have a paint-by-number with nostalgic attachments hung in the same room as my daughter's incredible art. I've had the floral swags for a good while and I'm ready to ditch those dust catchers. I've had hideous cowboy art (but, thank goodness, no velvet paintings) and some cheesy posters along with beautiful photography done by hub.

Over the years, I've refined, added, subtracted, and arrived at a beautiful home where we and our guests are comfortable. Lovely but livable. Restful but colorful. A reflection of my sensibilities, indeed. You feel welcome here.

Even after 30+ years of marriage, there's still re-decorating to be done. It never ends, young ones. :) I'd like to replace the floor coverings in this house, complete the exterior landscaping, and replace the dining room furniture. Perhaps those projects will be for next year! :)

2 comments:

Lydia said...

I've loved all the different looks of our/your home, though the current one is my favorite. It is very comfortable and warm

KarenD said...

You gotta keep redecorating and refreshing... keeps things interesting! Do what YOU like cuz YOU live there! And anything you do (or have done) looks great because you have such an eye for it!