Thursday, January 29, 2009

Bittersweet Reflection

Tomorrow is my last day of work before retirement. Students (some I haven't seen in months) have been making their way down to the school this week to bid me adieu. My faculty is holding a farewell party on Friday night at a local restaurant. There will be hugs and cards and presents.

I received my teaching certification in college, but I never intended to teach because my student teaching experience was ghastly. (My "mentor" spent our planning periods telling me about her out-of-body experiences.) I figured there were easier, better-paying jobs out there. So I worked as a secretary for several years in various types of professional offices. I loved the detail-oriented work, but generally didn't like the stresses of working with difficult bosses, commuting miles to work, or being restricted as to days off. In 1979, I decided to find a new career and looked into and was accepted into the insurance industry, a place where there were few females. I was hired and began training. In only a few weeks, I was desperately ill with....morning sickness! So much for the new career.

When I had my children, I blissfully stayed home with them for several years. Then, in 1985, hubby decided to go back to graduate school. Somehow we had to eat! :) So I took a teaching job in a middle school in Mesquite, thinking, "It's only 3 years...."

Well, now it's 24 years later, and I am finally retiring. I am ecstatic, nervous, relieved, scared, and generally a bundle of emotions about this event. I took the first opportunity to retire even though I could have sat in that classroom in the prison for the next 10 years. However, two years ago...Arbonne entered my life.

I love Arbonne. The products, the people, the company are all first class. The products have made a difference in my life. (I know it sounds dramatic, but it's true.) I have met the nicest people, gone on first class trips, and been treated like a professional businesswoman every step of the way. I am so excited about spending this next period of my life helping people like myself who yearn to realize their dreams while caring for their families with pure, safe, beneficial products.

So, I'm at that door. You know, the one that closes on an old chapter and opens into a new one. While I have made friends in the old chapter (who will remain friends), I am looking forward to new ones. I believe it's God's guidance that has brought me to this place. I anticipate a wonderful year ahead! Just let me know if I can help you, dear reader, in any way, because, you know, I'll be available!!

3 comments:

KarenD said...

Wanna come hang out on Spring Break? (March 16-20) I mean, it doesn't have to be Spring Break for you this time, huh? Anyhoo... John may be going on the ski trip alone (since Jordan is not likely going, I will not go either) so Ian and I wouldn't mind a visit from Grandma!

cturkett said...

Carolyn, This is a wonderful time in your life! One of those times when you can look back and think back about the life you are "retiring" from but even more special-- the life you are beginning anew!
As you know, I have absolutely taken to "being retired." Now I know that some people would be "antsy" and or "bored" with their life but I've found a great way to spend my time. And I can tell that you are looking forward to your time that will be spent on your own. In other words you will be able to set your own schedule and not be "required" to do things at a certain time or place.
You have several avenues to check out and head up with Arbonne, scrapboooking, and being a grandma already all waiting for your attention. How nice to have an "invite" already, for spring break--as you have already said, You are blessed!
Next time you come this way to see your youngest grandson, please give me a call--we could meet for lunch or you could ocme here for lunch!
Enjoy your party tonight!

Much love,
Cheryl

cturkett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.