Saturday, August 11, 2007

Oldies Music

I love the oldies. Not only because they were the songs of my college years, but also because they were played on the radio I listened to in those years. Songs from the 50's, 60's and 70's appeal to me. I know, I know, I'm old. But somewhere in the 80's I quit listening to much popular music, preferring instead to raise our kids with Christian music in the house.

Now those kids are adults themselves. A recent discussion of "oldies" lyrics made us realize that sometimes the tune overtook the lyrics in those days. Sometimes the lyrics were downright crass (to say the least) and perhaps not understood by those too naive to understand terms of the drug and free sex cultures of the day. We weren't involved in those cultures and therefore didn't know the code words of the time.

When we listen to the oldies now, I'm a little more choosy. I recently downloaded a Barry Manilow album of his renditions of the popular songs of the 60's....and I love it! What the World Needs Now, Cherish, Can't Help Falling in Love, etc. Of course, it's not like having the original singers, but I like Manilow's voice...nice and mellow, easy to listen to. Check out iTunes soon!

5 comments:

KarenD said...

Yeah, I picked up on some questionable lyrics before even in the oldies. But they are fun... I like to listen to them every now and then.

Lydia said...

IF YOU LOVE HER THEN YOU MUST SEND HER...SOMEWHERE THAT SHE'S NEVER BEEN BEFORE!!!!!

Belt it out! You know they're talking about the Colorado vacation they've got planned! *wink!*

Too bad...I love that song.

cturkett said...

Yes, and even worse is those of us who never knew the words in the first place. That has never been a "forte" of mine...no matter whether it be with the popular songs of the day (and, yes, I quit listening to the music of the 80's and the 90's too,)or with the hymns we sing at church. Actually I can at least do the first verse of most as well as the chorus or refrain.
Now that I think about it, I don't know any "now" songs either, unless it be something like "Jesus, Take the Wheel" or anything else by Carrie Underwood or any of the other American Idol winners.
So, what do I mean to say? I like the oldies too! In fact some of those songs can bring me to tears ( and I especially love music like that! ) Jim was rather surprised the first time I started crying at the Marching Band Contest at UTA and the band played a bunch of hits by Blood Sweat and Tears! For me, it's not the words, but the melody and the surrounding accompaniment that moves me!
As I write this I'm trying to remember any song that I know the words to: how about
"Hey, won't you play...
another somebody done somebody wrong song
and make me feel OK (?)
while I miss (?) my baby
while I miss (?) my baby...."

Even that one I'm not sure of!

Oh well, I do know one very popular song...."Happy Birthday to You!"

Carolyn said...

Thanks! I can always remember the words to that one, too...haha!

Lydia said...

I tagged you! Read my blog to learn more!